The Mission and Witness Committee of the Presbytery of the Twin Cities Area announced the recipients of 2010 Congregational Mission Grants at the November 9 Presbytery meeting at First Presbyterian Church in South St. Paul.
Rev. Teresa Roberts, a minister member of the PTCA and chair of Mission and Witness said that 16 congregations applied for the $21,000 available in grant money this year, and 12 projects were approved, including two partial grants. Some of those mission projects include:
- Creating a room for special needs children at First Presbyterian Church in Baldwin, WI.
- A new drop-in center for homeless youth at Oak Grove Presbyterian in Bloomington, MN.
- The launching of a community food shelf at First Presbyterian in Belle Plaine, MN.
- An internship program at Church of All Nations Presbyterian in Columbia Heights, MN.
- Building handicap access ramps for neighbors of Valley Community Presbyterian in Golden Valley, MN.
- An on-campus welcome event for International Students by Korean Presbyterian Church of Minnesota in Brooklyn Center, MN.
- Creation of The Source, a community assistance program at First Presbyterian in Hudson, WI.
- Bike racks to welcome students at Edgcumbe Presbyterian Church in St. Paul.
- Outreach to neighbors from Guatemala at Aldrich Avenue Presbyterian in Minneapolis.
The committee also funded nine additional projects through the Peacemaking Offering, including three First Tuesday Dialogues at Shepherd of the Hill Presbyterian in Chaska, MN.
Citing a need to begin connecting congregations to the committee, Roberts also shared that the Mission and Witness Committee would like to know what sort of mission is going on Presbytery churches. The committee will send out a form in early December and is asking PTCA churches to fill out the form, describing what missions each congregation supports. The deadline to turn in the Congregational Mission and Witness Report will be sometime in January.
Roberts also announced the dates for the 2011 Mission and Witness Grants. Mission Witness Committee will accept new applications from November 30, 2010 until March 1, 2011. The 2011 Grant Application forms will be online at the PTCA website beginning November 30th.
The grants will be approved in May and will be distributed in June. There will have some remaining emerging/emergency funds available through out 2011.