Committee on Ministry
Chairs: Kathryn Breitbarth and Richard Buller
The Committee on Ministry is charged by the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to “serve as pastor and counselor to the ministers and Certified Christian Educators of the presbytery, to facilitate the relations between congregations, ministers, and Certified Christian Educators, and the presbytery, and to settle difficulties on behalf of presbytery when possible and expedient.” (G-11.0501)
COM also serves the presbytery according to G-11.0502-03. In the interval between stated meetings of the presbytery, it performs the following functions, with the provision that all such actions be reported to the next stated meeting of the presbytery:
- …it finds in order calls issued by Pastor Nominating Committees to present to the congregation and presbytery,
- it approves and presents to presbytery requests for presbytery membership from non-parish ministers,
- it is responsible for the proper initial examination of all ministers seeking membership in the presbytery in accordance with G-11.0402, G-11.0404a-f and G-11.0405a-c, it dissolves the pastoral relationship in cases where the congregation and pastor concur,
- it grants permission to labor within or outside the bounds of the presbytery, and
- it authorizes the stated clerk to dismiss ministers to other presbyteries, if the way is clear.
You can find resources for sessions and ministers below. Members of Pastor Nominating Committees can go to the PNC Resource Page to aid in your search for a new pastor.